httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject Re: Authentication API
Date Wed, 17 Jul 1996 20:24:09 GMT
> However, it seems to me that if this is what you're trying to do,
> it's better engineering to try to find an approach which is not limited
> to authentication and access control --- mod_mime and mod_dirs can be
> reconfigured per-directory as well, and they might as well be approachable
> through the same interface.

And a bunch of other modules that are floating about out there are also
configurable on a per directory basis.  I think a completely general
case would be a good idea.  Limiting the configurability to just a few
known modules will just frustrate everyone.

> This would require something like mod_info to tell the reconfigurer
> what commands are allowed by the server as currently configured. so it
> could parse what it had written.  However, it doesn't get into issues
> of trying to unparse the modules' private internal data structures.
>
> What's tough about parsing the modules' private internal data
> structures is that the are private --- by deliberate choice, I decided
> to make them private, meaning that no one else is supposed to be
> looking at that stuff, or tweaking it...).

My first shot at writing mod_info was to try to walk through the currently
loaded internal configurations of all modules.  This proved to be impossible
both because I couldn't actually get at all the data, and also because the
configurations could change on a per-directory basis.  I would have had to
choose a directory and see what the different configurations were in that
particular case.  Instead, I made it parse the startup configuration files
and only report on those.  Taking mod_info and making it parse .htaccess
files in individual directories would be trivial.  The hard part would
be writing the code to allow you to edit and write back changes.

-Rasmus