httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: Authentication API
Date Wed, 17 Jul 1996 20:24:09 GMT
> However, it seems to me that if this is what you're trying to do,
> it's better engineering to try to find an approach which is not limited
> to authentication and access control --- mod_mime and mod_dirs can be
> reconfigured per-directory as well, and they might as well be approachable
> through the same interface.

And a bunch of other modules that are floating about out there are also
configurable on a per directory basis.  I think a completely general
case would be a good idea.  Limiting the configurability to just a few
known modules will just frustrate everyone.

> This would require something like mod_info to tell the reconfigurer
> what commands are allowed by the server as currently configured. so it
> could parse what it had written.  However, it doesn't get into issues
> of trying to unparse the modules' private internal data structures.
> What's tough about parsing the modules' private internal data
> structures is that the are private --- by deliberate choice, I decided
> to make them private, meaning that no one else is supposed to be
> looking at that stuff, or tweaking it...).

My first shot at writing mod_info was to try to walk through the currently
loaded internal configurations of all modules.  This proved to be impossible
both because I couldn't actually get at all the data, and also because the
configurations could change on a per-directory basis.  I would have had to
choose a directory and see what the different configurations were in that
particular case.  Instead, I made it parse the startup configuration files
and only report on those.  Taking mod_info and making it parse .htaccess
files in individual directories would be trivial.  The hard part would
be writing the code to allow you to edit and write back changes.

View raw message