httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject Re: project plan
Date Fri, 12 Jul 1996 15:54:25 GMT
> Depends how much we put into 1.2. Basically, anything that affects a file
> starting with "mod_" should work fine in 2.0 as well as 1.2. Anything that
> affects a file starting with "http_" will probably need rewriting for 2.0.
> Files that start with something else are up for grabs.

Well, a bunch of the modules will have problems with threading.  The msql
and Postgres95 authentication modules as well as mod_php.  I can make the
PHP part of mod_php thread-safe, but we have no control over libmsql.a
and libpq.a.  Neither of these are thread-safe.  Hopefully RST's thread
code can be told to only allow one thread at a time into these libraries.
If that can be specified, libmsql.a should not be a large problem.  The
library can have multiple active query results, so separate threads can
manipulate separate queries simultaneously.  The only restriction would
be that only 1 thread can perform an actual query at a time.  Since the
mSQL daemon itself can only process 1 query at a time anyway, this
limitation just moves the "wait for access" logic out of libmsql.a and into
Apache.  Performance-wise there should be no difference.

-Rasmus