httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject Re: I *don't* want Paul's style guide.
Date Tue, 02 Jul 1996 13:48:56 GMT
> -1 on using tabs (and yes, I do mean that to be a real veto).  In the past
> we have lost days of progress due to mismatching patches solely because
> of TABs getting lost in the mail (from both users and developers).
> CVS helps this for the main source base, but not for code reviews or
> for contributions from outside.
>
> No TABs, even if we have to run expand before every commit.

I'd like to veto your veto.  The patch argument is a bit silly I think.
Simply run "patch -l" and any whitespace differences are ignored.  TABS
are much too handy to throw away for such a minor issue.  The fact that
people can set their tab-width to whatever they are comfortable with
makes it easier to align the code when you are trying to make sense of it.

Personally I always work with a tab-width of 4.

-Rasmus