httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:42:07 GMT
> Again, same thing with SOCKS. Autoconf can test for the existance of the
> SOCKS libraries;

It can, can it? How? On my system SOCKS isn't anywhere autoconf is likely to
look. Also, what happens when it finds more than one; I have SOCKS4 and SOCKS5
on my system (or is it 3 and 4?). Which should it use? If it finds both dynamic
and static libraries, which should it use?

In my experience, autoconf makes a complete hash of even dealing with the
standard system libraries, let alone others I may have lying around.

And we haven't even touched on the sometimes delicate question of library
ordering...

> if they exist, it can include them and #define a
> variable. There can be a "UseSocks" directive that, if this is #defined,
> lets you turn on (again, a global variable) that uses Rconnect instead of
> connect, etc...

This, I agree with. In fact it might even be better to subdivide it further
(like, use SOCKS for particular proxies and nothing else).

Cheers,

Ben.