httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 18:47:08 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Alexei Kosut wrote:
> >

> > If so, I think it might be time for autoconf in Apache.
> >

> Sounds good 2 me, as long as autoconf overrides whatever it determines
> should work with what we now know works as defined in conf.h.
>
> Of course, what we _really_ want/need right now is an easier way for
> the person compiling Apache to determine just what modules, flags,
> libraries, etc they _want_ to use, which may not be a good job for
> autoconf, which, as I understand it, is really suited for finding
> our which functions, etc are available (more a porting aid than
> a configuration tool).

This has been my objection all along to autoconf. I still think it would be
more sensible to determine the platform automatically and use hand-defined
presets for each platform.

To that end it might be interesting (and perhaps even slightly entertaining) to
see if we can collectively come up with a shell script which identifies every
platform we have access to. I've often thought that this in itself would be a
very useful thing to have around.

> I think that a combination of a smart Configure and autoconf may be
> what we end up with...

Well, I'd certainly like to see a smart Configure.

> Question: Can we assume that the OS has perl? If so, it would make
>  the intelligent Configure _so_ much easier.

SCO 3, SCO 5 and QNX do not come with Perl.

If you want more power than sh gives you, I suggest a C program (after all,
simple file I/O is pretty portable).

Cheers,

Ben.