httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src conf.h http_config.c http_config.h http_core.c http_core.h (fwd)
Date Sat, 27 Jul 1996 19:04:06 GMT
Robert S. Thau wrote:
>   > Using the preexisting cmd_info instead of your new thing wouldn't add
>   > a single line of code to your command handlers, or to the command
>   > tables that invoke them; given that, it's going to be awfully hard to
>   > convince me that cmd->cmd makes them easier to write.
>   But that ain't true. cmd_info is already used to hold the offset of
>   the limit structure. However, it isn't used, so I guess I could
>   replace it with the name of the directive. Strikes me as naff,
>   though.
> Still, I prefer not to see stuff get tossed in without forethought
> before there's a clear use for it, and given what you've written
> above, I'm not sure at this point whether there is or there isn't ;-).
> At least, there reasonably could be, and I can see where it could get
> annoying to have to build auxiliary structures of one random piece of
> information, and something else which is already in the command table
> entry... but there is something to be said as well for keeping things
> small.

There is a regrettably large amount of code duplication in the configuration
area of Apache. It could be reduced by providing general purpose functions to
do things like setting integers, flags and strings. If that happened it would
be good if the relevant routines could say which directive went wrong if, say,
you do something like "MaxServers twenty-three". So, there's an argument, in
general, for the command handling routines to have access to the name, at
least, of the directive. I can also imagine it being useful to have access to
the flags. It would seem simplest to give access to the whole damn lot.

> rst

Technical Director          Email:
A.L. Digital Ltd,           URL:
London, England.            Apache Group member (

View raw message