httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: C++ components?
Date Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:57:22 GMT
> > 4. Do any of you actually like C++?
>
> Well... not really. I guess because it so much like and yet unlike
> C is what bothers me about it. OOP is great,I just wish C++ wasn't
> so C-like. It's hard to switch gears.

Interesting. For me, the extreme similarity to C is one of the great strengths
of C++ (after all, it is C, just wrappered up [apart from static
constructors/destructors which simply can't be done in C but can be worked
around]). I don't actually find it hard to switch gears, except you can
occasionally find me staring in a puzzled way at a screen, wondering why
"for(int n=0 ; n < 23 ; ++n)" didn't work.

That said, it did take a good few months of solid slog to get my brain into
the right rut for C++, and several more years before I could launch into C++
with complete confidence. I now write everything in C++ (if I have the choice).

Cheers,

Ben.