httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: RegExp stuff to be included in 1.2?
Date Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:03:28 GMT
> I must say, though, at this point I'm leaning towards one of the Spencer
> packages, don't know which though. The AT&T V8 one compiles cleanly on my
> machine, but isn't POSIX compatible (don't know if we want this - but, for
> example, I don't see a way to specify case-insensitivity with the V8
> version). On the other hand, the POSIX version gives me a number of
> warnings (which I mentioned earlier).
>
> At any rate, though, all of Spencer's packages look like they'd be usable:
> the license restrictions are probably not a problem; as long as we provide
> attribution, we should be able to use them just fine. As well, we should
> be able to take the source files (regexp.c, regsub.c and regerror.c for
> the V8 version, regcomp.c, regexp.c, regerror.c and regfree.c for the
> POSIX version) and just drop them in to the current Apache makefile, with
> little fuss, plus the header file.
>
> Would anyone object to the use of a Spencer regex package? Does anyone
> have an opinion as to which one to use?

I vote POSIX. Let's just take it on board and fix the warnings. I vote against
any commercially restrictive license, because I believe that the license we
use achieves the aim (free software with source code) more effectively. Besides
we've already decided on our license and so should not incorporate code which
restricts it.

Cheers,

Ben.