httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: 1.2 log rotation II
Date Sat, 20 Jul 1996 16:08:56 GMT
Chuck Murcko wrote:

> Ben Laurie liltingly intones:
> >
> > OK, I know why SIGHUP shuts it down, and I'll fix it if anyone cares. On the
> > other hand, why does SIGINT? What error do you get with a SIGINT. Are you
> > using Listen (I didn't test the Listen patches, probably a mistake since they
> > are more than a little complex but, then, I only have so many hours in my
> > weekends).
> >
> SIGHUP should probably work as gentle restart, ultimately, but that's just
> my belated HO. No error messages with SIGINT, just one of two results, as
> further playing has shown:
>
> 1) silent server shutdown

Wot, not even a core dump?

> 2) server restart, with two additional children spawned each time.

Additional children are expected. Any currently idle children will not die
until they are woken up by an incoming connection (even thought they won't
handle that connection they are still blocked on it).

> I'm not using Listen on the servers I'm testing on.

Darn.

> This isn't urgent (like right now), Ben. I'm running the no keepalive for
> Mozilla/2 version of 1.2-dev on one of the two machines I tested on, but
> not the other. I've cobbled rotatelogs to accept a 0 arg for rotate
> interval which means rotate once, right now. This also uses 0 as
> the file extension so my rotate script can then compress and rotate all
> the log files on the server, and the other automatic tools we use
> still see the same filenames as before. We can still date the rotated log
> files by the mtime.

Urgle. Does this work? I remember looking at the logging code wrt to graceful
restarts, and I guess I was happy, but confirmation would be nice!

> I've got two boys to go amuse now, so I'll probably not be around 'till
> later, myself.

I've just come back from amusing the boys (we took them to see boats going
through the locks on the Thames).

Cheers,

Ben.