httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: 1.2 log rotation II
Date Sat, 20 Jul 1996 15:24:42 GMT
Chuck Murcko wrote:
> Robert S. Thau liltingly intones:
> >
> > I'll say it again until someone seems to hear it --- this SIGINT
> > business is a *mistake*.  The old, "ungraceful" restart behavior is
> > a bug, outright, and we ought to fix it, not go out of our way to
> > be back-compatible with it.  That said, if graceful restart is also
> > broken, that ought to be fixed.
> >
> I'll second that. Sending SIGHUP or SIGINT to the server shuts it down
> at this point. Restart signal should be HUP, not INT, IMHO. Graceful
> restart should go on a SIGHUP.

OK, I know why SIGHUP shuts it down, and I'll fix it if anyone cares. On the
other hand, why does SIGINT? What error do you get with a SIGINT. Are you
using Listen (I didn't test the Listen patches, probably a mistake since they
are more than a little complex but, then, I only have so many hours in my

> That said, graceful restart still needs some work on BSD at least.
> Rotatelogs is the right way to do log rotation, and really isn't germane
> to the signal discussion. I'm changing it slightly now to fit into our
> automatic rotate/fetch/analyze scheme here.
> chuck
> Chuck Murcko	N2K Inc.	Wayne PA
> And now, on a lighter note:
> Baker's First Law of Federal Geometry:
> 	A block grant is a solid mass of money surrounded on all sides
> by governors.

Technical Director          Email:
A.L. Digital Ltd,           URL:
London, England.            Apache Group member (

View raw message