httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Content-type "image/gif;qs=0.5" breaks browsers.
Date Fri, 19 Jul 1996 10:25:41 GMT
>>> Will sending a Content-type of "image/gif;qs=0.5" break older browsers?
>>>
>>> HTTP/1.1 draft says "implementations should only use media type parameters
>>> when they are required by that type/subtype definition. "
>>
>> Heres a patch that strips all mime type paramaters unless someone _really_
>> wants to send them.  I can't think of any situations that need the
>> subtype definition so I'll submit this on Monday if I see no objections.
>
> -1. Do not submit it.

I forgot to explain that absolutely any media type that has included
a parameter is doing so on purpose -- Apache does not add any parameters
on its own unless it is configured to do so, in which case we have every
reason to believe that the person doing the configuring has got a clue.

User agents that don't recognize parameters are broken.  If they behave
brokenly, that is their fault.

.....Roy