httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: mod_negotiation gif/jpeg issues
Date Fri, 19 Jul 1996 10:06:51 GMT
> A friend using Apache 1.1 was telling me today about a site he just
> created that had every image available as GIF and JPG.  He wanted to make
> sure that Netscape and others got JPEGs and others got GIFs.  Without a
> VAR map Apache always sent the GIF so he had to write a program to create
> the hundreds of VAR maps that all said basically the same thing (*1)
>
> He thought a good solution would be to specify a default type map that
> would apply when a map isn't available and is built from a directory
> listing instead (so he could say treat all "image/jpeg" as qs=0.6 and
> "image/gif" as qs=0.5)
>
> Does this sound like a useful patch to anyone else?

No, in fact I would veto its addition to the source.  The qs value
is the quality of the image as perceived by a human being; assigning
it a default for all images of a certain type would be a direct
violation of the protocol and greatly hinder true content negotiation.

Likewise, sending a qs parameter in Content-Type for a media type that
would not expect to have a qs parameter is a violation of the semantics
of the protocol.

Netscape sends out the wrong Accept list.  We all know this.  The proper
response is to make the "what to do if all other things are equal" function
be dependent on user agent.  Somebody may be able to come up with an
easy-to-configure way of setting that, but the most direct route is
to patch the negotiation algorithm.