httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: Broken clients
Date Wed, 17 Jul 1996 09:57:29 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:
> In article <>,
> Ben Laurie  <> wrote:
> >OK, it seems we now have two reasons to detect broken clients. One is to avoid
> >flushing after the headers, the other to disable keepalive. Does anyone have
> >a recipe for detecting those clients?
> Something I've done for conditional html could easily be extended.
> Here's the syntax:
> UserAgent /regex/ property1 property2 ...
> If the user agent matches the expression the properties are set.
> I use those for conditionals, but also pass them to CGIs (in
> $ENV{'BROWSER_SUPPORTS'} -- which now seems like a bad name).  It'd
> probably be overkill to make something like this part of the core...

I dunno, actually. Seems to me to be quite sensible, coz then we can fine tune
things like Keepalive (which actually worked OK for Netscape 2.x under Win95
and Mac, if I remember correctly) without having to issue new server versions.

Which brings up the other other question, which is, which regexp package do we
use? It really is time we standardized.

> Dean

Technical Director          Email:
A.L. Digital Ltd,           URL:
London, England.            Apache Group member (

View raw message