httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Broken clients
Date Wed, 17 Jul 1996 09:57:29 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Ben Laurie  <new-httpd@hyperreal.com> wrote:
> >OK, it seems we now have two reasons to detect broken clients. One is to avoid
> >flushing after the headers, the other to disable keepalive. Does anyone have
> >a recipe for detecting those clients?
>
> Something I've done for conditional html could easily be extended.
> Here's the syntax:
>
> UserAgent /regex/ property1 property2 ...
>
> If the user agent matches the expression the properties are set.
> I use those for conditionals, but also pass them to CGIs (in
> $ENV{'BROWSER_SUPPORTS'} -- which now seems like a bad name).  It'd
> probably be overkill to make something like this part of the core...

I dunno, actually. Seems to me to be quite sensible, coz then we can fine tune
things like Keepalive (which actually worked OK for Netscape 2.x under Win95
and Mac, if I remember correctly) without having to issue new server versions.

Which brings up the other other question, which is, which regexp package do we
use? It really is time we standardized.

Cheers,

Ben.