httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Configurable nph filenames
Date Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:28:17 GMT
> Are we allowed to just invent headers? Suppose that header is one day defined
> to mean something different? That's why I thought X-Apache- was a good idea,
> anyway.

Yes, we can invent headers.  The name chosen should coincide with its
*potential* uses (any potential, particularly including outside this
project and maybe within a standard).  Since this feature would be
potentially useful for anything using a CGI interface, I think a "CGI-"
prefix would be most appropriate.

The name "Apache-*" would be good for features whose potential is limited
to the Apache project, but I can't think of anything we might do that
no one else would want to copy.  ;-)

The "X-" prefix should never be used within any software that is distributed
to other people outside a limited experiment.  The X-prefix was intended to
be used by individuals when they wanted to test their own mail software
while guaranteeing that their tests would not interfere with any legitimately
distributed software in production use.  Obviously, too many people in the
MIME world forgot that (or just never understood it).

.....Roy