httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Too soon for 1.2 commits ??
Date Thu, 11 Jul 1996 17:13:49 GMT
Robert S. Thau wrote:

> Somehow, I suspect that we've said as much as can be usefully said
> about strcasestr() implementations in the absence of hard data.  While
> I agree both with Ben's demurral at the potential perniciousness of
> the copies, and with Mike's intuition that doing case-canonicalization
> only once is likely to be actually faster, I think the only way to
> usefully advance the conversation past this point is if someone rolls
> up their sleeves and does a benchmark...

If lowercasing is to be used the memory burning problem needs solving. My only
thought is to malloc the buffers and hold onto them, reallocing if the incoming
strings are longer than the biggest so far. However, one is now forced to
question the value of the effort involved in benchmarking.

If asked, I would vote for a possibly less efficient implementation which
didn't need to mess with memory.

Cheers,

Ben.

London, England.