httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Oops explained
Date Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:40:42 GMT
Further investigation has revealed that my problem is not Apache but the
CGI+SCO 5 (it seems). What I hadn't made clear before was that the server in
question was a test server, and was handling but a single request (which is
why MaxClients didn't really matter).

Anyway, the problem was caused by the rogue CGI growing without limit. When the
process hits around 60 MB, SCO stops working. Not sure why it gives me "too
many process" errors when, in fact, the number of processes is unchanged (out
of swap space, perhaps?).

Anyway, this made me wonder about using setrlimit() to stop the process from
running away. I then wondered whether, in fact, Apache should (optionally) use
setrlimit() to limit _all_ CGIs?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Ben.