httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: I *don't* want Paul's style guide.
Date Tue, 02 Jul 1996 21:22:04 GMT
You can't use 4-space indents and TABs and expect them to remain
consistent.  Nor can you set the tab width on all display devices.
Nor can you produce half-indents when TABs are used.

Using TABs means that your code will look wrong on my display, which
contradicts the reason for having visually indented styles.  Our experience
within this project has already demonstrated that TABs cause problems.
TABs get screwed up in mail because they don't indent by two spaces
when the lines of code are preceded by "> " or "! ", which means that
any lines preceded by TABs look screwed-up when compared to those
using spaces to indent.  Hell, even Ben's voting styles look wrong
after I tried to include them in a reply.

It just isn't a good way to write code for a collaborative project.

......Roy