httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Style guide
Date Mon, 01 Jul 1996 22:33:23 GMT
Paul Richards wrote:

> > As usual, please check that my records reflect your opinion, and again, again,
> > please vote on 3a1 or 3ab.
>
> 3a1, 13a, 14a
>
> After thinking about 13 for a while I think 13a makes sense. It makes
> it clear from an immediate glance that this is a test for a NULL pointer
> rather than checking that a variable or function return is zero. As I
> argued for enum types, it saves having to look elsewhere in the source
> to see what it is we're dealing with i.e a pointer or just a variable and
> for enum whether its a enum type or a variable.

If we want to really get down to proper type visibility, I'd vote for Hungarian
(as anyone who has read Apache-SSL will know).

> There's a whole load of things from the doc that were never disagreed
> with and are now not being considered, I don't necessarily agree with
> all the examples below myself and have commented on them in
> separate posts.

If you seriously want this lot to be considered, could you formulate them as
votable alternatives. I'll then include them in my list. IMO most of them
aren't worth the bother of discussion, let alone the necessary policing.

Exceptions are spaces after ifs/whiles etc. I knew there was something obvious
I'd missed. And I'm in favour of commenting flow through in switches (but I'm
not sure I like the name "FALLTHROUGH" or the caps).

I guess I should also include brackets in returns, though this comprehensive
document fails to mention them.

Cheers,

Ben.

> #include <sys/types.h>      /* Non-local includes in brackets. */
> #include "pathnames.h"      /* Local includes in double quotes. */

For example, this is merely a statement of correct C.

> [...]
>  * what the program does.
>  */
>
>     /*
>      * For consistency, getopt should be used to parse options.  Options
>      * should be sorted in the getopt call and the switch statement, unless
>      * parts of the switch cascade.  Elements in a switch statement that
>      * cascade should have a FALLTHROUGH comment.  Numerical arguments
>      * should be checked for accuracy.  Code that cannot be reached should
>      * have a NOTREACHED comment.
>      */
>
>     /*
>      * Space after keywords (while, for, return, switch).  No braces are
>      * used for control statements with zero or only a single statement.
>      *
>      * Forever loops are done with for's, not while's.
>      */
>
>     /*
>      * Parts of a for loop may be left empty.  Don't put declarations
>      * inside blocks unless the routine is unusually complicated.
>      */
>
>     /* Second level indents are four spaces. */
>     while (cnt < 20)
>         z = a + really + long + statment + that + needs + two lines +
>             gets + indented + four + spaces + on + the + second +
>             and + subsequent + lines.
>
>     exit(0);    /* Avoid obvious comments such as "Exit 0 on success." */
>     return (eight);
>

> 	/*
>      * Casts and sizeof's are not followed by a space.  NULL is any
>      * pointer type, and doesn't need to be cast, so use NULL instead
>      * of (struct foo *)0 or (struct foo *)NULL.  Also, test pointers
>      * against NULL, i.e. use:
> 	 */
>
> /* Variable numbers of arguments should look like this. */
> #if __STDC__
> #include <stdarg.h>
> #else
> #include <varargs.h>
> #endif
>
> void
> #if __STDC__
> vaf(const char *fmt, ...)
> #else
> vaf(fmt, va_alist)
>     char *fmt;
>     va_dcl
> #endif
> {
>     va_list ap;
> #if __STDC__
>     va_start(ap, fmt);
> #else
>     va_start(ap);
> #endif
>     STUFF;
>
>     va_end(ap);     /* No return needed for void functions. */
> }
>
> static void
> usage()
> {   /* Insert an empty line if the function has no local variables. */
>

> --
>   Paul Richards, Originative Solutions Ltd.
>   Internet: paul@netcraft.co.uk, http://www.netcraft.co.uk
>   Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)

London, England.