httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Patches
Date Mon, 01 Jul 1996 13:35:24 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> As a general trouble maker, let me see if I have this right.
>
>    Patch A: Changes things like HAS_GMTOFF to HAVE_GMTOFF and is
>     derided loud and long as being too much too late. Patch
>     removed.
>
>    Patch B: Involves some heavy-duty changes to mod_cern_meta.c
>     as well as a semi-substantial change to the way the
>     module works (from per-server to per-directory). It is
>     added "much" later that Patch A. The resultant outcry?
>     One very nice message stating "isn't this kinda big?"
>     Patch remains.
>

> Is something wrong here?

Actually there was a bit more outcry but perhaps, due to the vagaries of
"Reply-To" settings, it went directly to Brian. I have to say that I do not
approve of Brian's unilateral decision to include the two new big patches, and
think that they should either be reversed, or we should do another public beta
cycle. I also thought that Patch A was safe enough to leave in, and certainly
safe enough after a further beta cycle.

A particularly worrying aspect of Patch B is not its size but the fact that it
changes the module's behaviour (according to the notes).

I also think that Brian's argument that these are not "core" modules is
completely spurious. They are either part of the release or they aren't. If
they are, then they should be properly tested in a _public_ beta. If they are
not, then they need deleting.

In short, I haven't vetoed yet because I'm waiting to see what the plan is
release-schedule-wise. What _is_ the plan, BTW?

Cheers,

Ben.

> PS: I'm NOT promoting that Patch A be reinstated or Patch B be
>     removed... Just a general observation as a devil's advocate.
> --
> Jim Jagielski  << jim@jaguNET.com >>   |      "That's a Smith & Wesson,
>   **  jaguNET Access Services  **      |       and you've had your six"
>       Email: info@jaguNET.com          |             - James Bond
> ++    http://www.jaguNET.com/         +++      Voice/Fax: 410-931-3157       ++

London, England.