httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dgau...@hotwired.com (Dean Gaudet)
Subject Re: security holes and other fun stuff
Date Fri, 19 Jul 1996 05:08:44 GMT
In article <hot.mailing-lists.new-httpd-199607171121.MAA06489@tees>,
Paul Richards  <new-httpd@hyperreal.com> wrote:
>A ttl of 1/2 day forces queries to hit the server at least twice a day. This
>is redundant since the secondary will not pick up changes more than once
>a day so queries that hit the secondary will always get the same response
>within a 24 hour period so the client may as well be allowed to cache the
>data for that long. I think your DNS is somewhat mis-configured in this
>regard.

The 1/2 day timeout is from before I discovered that Sprint won't respect
any refresh less than 1 day... and I suppose I could change it now, but
it hardly seems worth it when my (external) secondaries are changing in
a month anyhow.  Half day timeouts are long compared to many other
zones I was looking at... so I'm actually being nicer to folks than
many :)

>I assume when you talk about zone timeout you're talking about the
>refresh value?

Yup, was saying it that way for the folks that don't have to deal with
DNS day in and out.

Dean