httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dgau...@hotwired.com (Dean Gaudet)
Subject Re: Microsoft's "amazing" web servers
Date Thu, 18 Jul 1996 18:21:04 GMT
In article <hot.mailing-lists.new-httpd-199607160341.XAA23747@telebase.com>,
Chuck Murcko  <new-httpd@hyperreal.com> wrote:
>This looks like round robin DNS on too few servers to handle the load.
>A load balancing DNS would take care of this, better at least.

Even load balancing DNS is subject to failures like this.  The only
reliable solution is "magic routing" like the cisco Local Director product
<http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/769/lodir.html>.  I do something
else that involves the router which only breaks a few connections when
machines take over for each other.  But I'd prefer switching to something
like Local Director... a hack that could be put on top of FreeBSD or
Linux quite easily to deal with loads in the 6 or 7 T1 range.

Dean