httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 21:40:02 GMT
sameer wrote:

> > I'll try sh 1st... At least right now, some sort of Q&A
> > ("What system is this?" "Do you want Spencer's regex package?")
> > or menu option should be easy enough... Configuration.tmpl may just
> > store the list of modules and Configure can scan thru and ask the
> > right kind of questions (ie: "I see you want mod_status... Should we
> > include full status monitoring?") and adjust as required.
>
> Q/A SUCKS!
>
> 	I'm sorry, but when you compare BSD vs. Linux kernel
> configuration, I find BSD much much easier with a config file rather
> than linux's ugly-and-hard-to-use q/a format. Takes 20 minutes just to
> change one option in linux, but bsd takes about 2 minutes.
>
> 	sorry to be so vehement. I would hate to see apache
> configuration look like linux kernel configuration.

Basically, there are only a few basic questions that need to be asked:

  1. What system?
  2. If mod_status is included, do you want -DSTATUS?
  3. Use the included regex package?

I, for one, don't tend to like full autoconf. The reason is because
about 1/2 -> 1/3 of the time, I need to hand-edit some changes (for
example, to add -D_POSIX_SOURCE when -lposix is linked) and in most
implementations, autoconf goes out of it's way to make that difficult.

I like the idea of autoconf, but it can be more hassle that it's worth.
After all, look at bind/named, sendmail, smail, etc... They all use
a method very close to what Apache uses now.

Also, there are levels of autoconf. At one extreme would be a version
that does an indepth OS probe and completely generates conf.h without
any user input/feedback. These I don't trust. I don't mind autoconf's
that do some testing (for example, it could test the OS's regex implementation
and, if munged, suggest HS's code) but I prefer one that uses as a starting
point some hard-coded knowledge about platforms.