httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@creche.cygnus.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 20:25:49 GMT
Jim> Of course, what we _really_ want/need right now is an easier way
Jim> for the person compiling Apache to determine just what modules,
Jim> flags, libraries, etc they _want_ to use, which may not be a good
Jim> job for autoconf, which, as I understand it, is really suited for
Jim> finding our which functions, etc are available (more a porting
Jim> aid than a configuration tool).

I'm sort of at a loss to address this without specific examples.

In the autoconfiscation I did for 1.0.3, there is a Modules file
(derived from the Configuration file) that you can edit (before
running configure) to choose the modules you like.  The configure
script knows about the portability requirements of each module (eg if
you want the auth_dbm module, you must have -lndbm).

In the specific case of passing in CFLAGS, there is already a simple
mechanism for doing this with configure.  You can either set the
CFLAGS env var before configuring (good if you think the values will
change the results of configure), or just set it on the "make" command
line.

Is there something more than this that is desirable?  If so, tell me
about it, and I'll try to include it.

Jim> Question: Can we assume that the OS has perl? If so, it would
Jim> make the intelligent Configure _so_ much easier.

I don't think this is a very good assumption to make.  Believe it or
not, there are sites where Perl is not installed.  Anyway, I doubt
anything we'll do will really require that much power.  And since the
goal of writing a configure script is increased portability, it is
better to just rely on the bare minimum.

Tom
--
tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom