httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 19:46:53 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > In the meantime, how does something like this appear:
>
> I think it is the wrong approach to make each individual end user figure out
> what -Ds are needed ... we should encourage a system which means that we end
> up with an entry in conf.h which corresponds to their OS, and it seems to me
> that this doesn't.

The only -D that people need to determine if they need (other than what
they always did) was the one's for the regex package, which can be
added in even in need be.

I agree that on those systems that we know need the regex stuff, could
be folded into the OS-specific section (in which case we'd move the build
of CFLAGS to later on... Hell, we could even do away with AUX_FLAGS
and AUX_LIBS totally in Makefile.tmpl by building FLAGS and LIBS based
on them).

This is only the 1st step... I plan on working on some version of
intelligent Configure soon where all this will be folded in (ie:
more streamlined Makefile, etc...)