httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 19:41:43 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Well, I'd certainly like to see a smart Configure.

I'm taking some very rough 1st steps... At least in how Configuration.tmpl
does things.

> > Question: Can we assume that the OS has perl? If so, it would make
> >  the intelligent Configure _so_ much easier.
>
> SCO 3, SCO 5 and QNX do not come with Perl.
>
> If you want more power than sh gives you, I suggest a C program (after all,
> simple file I/O is pretty portable).

I'll try sh 1st... At least right now, some sort of Q&A
("What system is this?" "Do you want Spencer's regex package?")
or menu option should be easy enough... Configuration.tmpl may just
store the list of modules and Configure can scan thru and ask the
right kind of questions (ie: "I see you want mod_status... Should we
include full status monitoring?") and adjust as required.