httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:57:56 GMT
> If platform X has no (or a broken) regex package, and it can't compile
> Spencer's, then what? It seems to me that we *have* to either support the
> package, or not use regex capabilities in Apache. And we're already
> commited to the latter.

Do you know of such a platform?

I'm kind of surprised this is that much of a debate...

My take on this is that if someone comes along and wants to run
on something that A) does not have POSIX regex B) is not supported
by Henry's or the GNU package will have as part of their job of porting
Apache to bring one of those other two alternatives up to snuff for
this most likely very *unpopular* platform.

We cannot be responsible for every OS's problems. We provide what
we view as being a good alternative to a bad OS implementation of
POSIX regex. And we're done.