httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 13:44:50 GMT
> How about just /regex ?

I think support was badly named. We should use /support for code
that is not maintained by the Apache team but is nevertheless closely
integrated (such as the regex code)

There should be a contrib directory for nifty bits of code we want to
distribute but don't actually support, such as all the stuff currently
in /support.

> My only real concern is that including the regex package does seem to
> imply that we support it. If the package doesn't compile on Platform
> X, I would expect that Platform X user would write to _us_ about the
> problem and expect _us_ to help him/her out. I'm not sure if that's
> what we want.

Agreed. We should use the native regex code by default but provide a simple
switch to use /support/regex if they don't have one. We definately *shouldn't*
get into the business of maintaining regex code, there are plenty of perfectly
competent groups already doing exactly that.

  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155

View raw message