httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl README
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 12:53:08 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > I also would like to resuggest that the regex package be moved to
> > support. I think it's a great "service" to provide his package, but
> > I don't think we want to be seen as holding the bag for porting, bug
> > fixes, etc...
>
> I think I agree it shouldn't be in /src, yet I don't think it should be in
> /support since if we rely upon regex functionality for any part of the
> core it's not really a piece of functionality that someone can live
> without.  So, if spenser's regex package doesn't compile on platform X,
> and platform X doesn't have its own decent regex functionality itself,
> then what is platform X user to do?  /support is really for "value-added"
> features, not something the core relies upon, in my opinion.  Maybe /lib?

How about just /regex ?

By the way, does anyone know if GNUregex v1.12 fits the bill as well?

> Secondarily, what will we do when we move to autoconf with the code?

Arg! :)

My only real concern is that including the regex package does seem to
imply that we support it. If the package doesn't compile on Platform
X, I would expect that Platform X user would write to _us_ about the
problem and expect _us_ to help him/her out. I'm not sure if that's
what we want.