httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Fear <...@pooh.pageplus.com>
Subject Re: Items for 1.2 (fwd)
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 01:35:30 GMT

I wrote:
> Adding mod_xinclude as part of the release has been mentioned
> (on this list and not by me) once or twice.  I'm happy to maintain it
> and I do svbscribe and even occasionally contribute to the list.
> The current incarnation does need a mod or two for the current
> development strain.  If there's interest, I'll go make the changes.

Much as I'd love to have code in the next release of Apache
(and I really would), I must point out a serious reservation about xssi,
its not going to thread cleanly, if at all, in its present incarnation.
Specifically, it uses a couple file-scoped static variables to control
whether text is being sent to the client (under control of a
<!--#if -->).  The original mod_include.c wasn't designed to have a
not-send mode, and I took the coward's way out.

I believe that a great deal of the innards would have to be redesigned
to make it thread - ie make everything either automatic or malloc'd
from the requests's pool.  Perhaps I should work up a prototype
and check its performance before committing to this.

Comments?

--
Howard Fear      email1: howard_fear@pageplus.com
                 email2: howard_fear@stortek.com