httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl README
Date Mon, 29 Jul 1996 23:25:33 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> >   + # Apache requires a POSIX regex implementation. Some/most platforms provide
> >   + # this capability, but for those that don't, Apache provides, simply for
> >   + # convenience, a regex implementation. The regex code is NOT official
> >   + # Apache code and the Apache team does not support or guarantee the code.
> >   + # If you want to use the supplied regex package, uncomment the following
> >   + # line (or set it equal to the regex lib on your system)
> >   + #REGLIBS=regex/libregex.a
>
> a) Any code we ship is "official" Apache code. We don't support or
> guarnatee *any* of our code. That warning seems harsh.

But the regex code is VERY, VERY different. I, for one, do not think
we should dilute our efforts by supporting Apache _and_ the regex stuff.
It should be VERY, VERY clear to people who use Apache that the very
fact that we have the regex code included with our distribution does
not imply, in any way, shape, or form, that it's considered "official"
Apache code.

I still think that the regex package belongs in support, not src.

The warning was meant to be harsh... I don't think it's to our advantage to
even let people _think_ that the regex package is Apache certified (or
whatever).

> b) I'd much perfer that the default be to use regex/libregex.a, with
> wording such as "If your system has a working regular expression library,
> we reccomend you comment out the line below."

Doing this even more so would give the impression that regex is "official"
Apache code. I really, really think we do NOT want to do that.

> >   +
> >   +       RLIMIT_CPU:
> >   +       RLIMIT_DATA:
> >   +       RLIMIT_VMEM:
> >   +       RLIMIT_NPROC:
> >   +        Use the getrlimit/setrlimit calls to adjust/set the rlimit values
> >   +        for the specified limits.
>
> These aren't really Apache defines. They're system defines. If you're
> going to add these, you much at well add:
>
> NULL: Location of the null pointer.
>
> and so forth and so on. It's not something that we set in conf.h, or
> something an autoconf would set.

I've seem them in various autoconfigs, of course, with the HAVE_
prefix in front. In any case, having them "described" in no big deal,
so what's the beef? If you want to get rid of 'em, go ahead.