httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: regex libs
Date Sun, 28 Jul 1996 16:28:02 GMT
Jim Jagielski liltingly intones:

> Let's start a vote.
>
>  o Should the included regex lib be used by default?

-1. I agree with Jim's point about working OS versions of regex, as long
as they are also POSIX implementations. This is yet another 15-20% of
code growth that we should avoid when possible.

> Although I can see the opposing point, I would vote -1. There are some
> platforms with very robust regex implementations, and they should be
> able to use them. I think that the OS sections in Configuration.tmpl
> should, on a case-by-case basis determine if regex/libregex.a should
> be linked in, with the default that it's not.

HAS_POSIX_REGEX was suggested for this, I seem to remember.

> In any case, shouldn't the regex source be located in the support section,
> unless, of course, we accept the responsibility of maintaining the
> regex stuff. With the way it currently stands (it being in ./src and
> used by default) we really do open ourselves to supporting not only
> Apache but that as well. By moving it to support and using it only
> when needed, we can work around that (and state that Apache requires
> a robust POSIX/regex implementation. If your system doesn't have one,
> add REGLIB=../support/regex/libregex.a to your entry in Configuration.tmpl
> or you may use any implementation you'd like).

+1. The additional burden of maintaining a regex pkg was one of my
original objections to including it.

> Makefile.tmpl can easily be modified to look for REGLIB and create it
> if needed.

And now, on a lighter note:
Predestination was doomed from the start.