httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Regex -Wall
Date Sun, 28 Jul 1996 12:53:14 GMT
Randy Terbush wrote:

> > Jim:
> > > I'm playing catchup, just returning from vacation, so bear with me :)
> > >
> > > I've noticed that compiling now that the regex libs are included causes
> > > MAJOR warnings when compiled with -Wall. Considering that we try to
> > > keep Apache itself as quiet as possible with -Wall, what do we do
> > > with regex, since it's not ours?
> >
> > The regexp stuff started getting noisy in the last 6 hours, prior
> > to this there've been no warnings from that block of code.  FreeBSD
> > 2.1.5 sees this now:
> >
> > gcc -O2 -Wall -DSTATUS -DEXTENDED_API -m486 -I. -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -c regcomp.c
> > In file included from regcomp.c:12:
> > cclass.h:7: warning: missing braces around initializer for `cclasses[0]'
>
> I believe that I commited a patch that turned on -Wall.

I know that my patch to propagate the Apache flags would also start
the above, if Apache was compiled using -Wall as well...

> Regarding whether we should fix these, I ask the question, do
> we want to compile this by default? I would prefer not to use
> it unless I _know_ that there is a bug in the local implementation.

However, as devil's advocate, it might be nice to have it enabled by
default to keep all servers/implementations on the same starting
point, as it were.

But I also agree... if my local versions are good enough (and maybe even
better), I'd prefer to use them.