httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Gross" <cgr...@eusoft.com>
Subject Re: C++ components?
Date Thu, 25 Jul 1996 20:46:11 GMT
> Subject: C++ components?
> Date: mardi, 23. juillet 1996 22:17
>
> OK, I know a lot of you don't like C++ (though I really think you don't
know
> what you are missing). But, it'd be nice to be able to use C++ with
Apache.
> I know that I've been asked about it several times.
>
> I'd be interested to know about these things:
>
> 1. Would anyone object if I C++-proofed Apache? This would probably not
be
> much more than the odd extern "C" in the headers.

Whatever
> 2. Which OSes don't support C++?

Don't know
> 3. Which OSes don't support templates?

Again don't know
> 4. Do any of you actually like C++?

Love it...
> 5. Would there be any interest in creating C++ wrapper classes?

Hmmm....
> 6. Would there be any interest in creating a completely C++ Apache?

Hmmm....

The problem that I have with C++ is that for system level it is not
usable.  For example memory handling can be done by C++, but to do it OOP
wise it would be really slow and not usable.

Instead if the classes were like the ones described in C++ Report last
issue (Light C++ classes the unification of C and C++) then I would tend
to agree to using C++.  Otherwise I would say no.

I was invovled in a project where a programmer went template happy.  He
was generating recurisve template classes that 283 layers of nesting.
Needless to say it broke most compilers, except for a few.  The problem
was that he went OOP happy and ended up with more of mess.

I think typically system code like HTTP needs to be written in C or the
lightweight C++ classes.

Christian