httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: CGI problems
Date Thu, 25 Jul 1996 19:41:42 GMT
  So, how do we fix this properly?

As a general rule, it would be good to make these limits configurable.
However, in this particular case, I'm not sure that it is useful to
set a limit at all.  RLIMIT_NPROC is documented (on BSDI, the only
system I have access to which defines it at all) to be the total
number of processes with the same uid --- which means that the CGI
child gets to fork() if and only if there aren't too many processes
in the server pool; I don't see how this is useful.

(It might well be useful to limit the total number of child, or more
distant descendant, processes which the CGI process is allowed to
create.  However, that's not what RLIMIT_NPROC does, and there is no
easy way to make it do that).

rst