httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: C++ components?
Date Wed, 24 Jul 1996 16:33:47 GMT
Ben Laurie liltingly intones:

> OK, I know a lot of you don't like C++ (though I really think you don't know
> what you are missing). But, it'd be nice to be able to use C++ with Apache.
> I know that I've been asked about it several times.
>
> I'd be interested to know about these things:
>
> 1. Would anyone object if I C++-proofed Apache? This would probably not be
> much more than the odd extern "C" in the headers.

No objections.

> 2. Which OSes don't support C++?

Anything that can't build g++, I'd guess. That can't be many.

> 3. Which OSes don't support templates?

Templates are different in each compiler, and even between versions of
compilers. There's no real standard yet.

> 4. Do any of you actually like C++?

I would if that were all I did, save for the code bloat.

> 5. Would there be any interest in creating C++ wrapper classes?

Not really.

> 6. Would there be any interest in creating a completely C++ Apache?

Not really. I'd go for Java over C++ at this time.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Paul's Law:
	In America, it's not how much an item costs, it's how much you
save.