httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Lucid <lu...@the.secret.org>
Subject Re: C++ components?
Date Tue, 23 Jul 1996 21:47:23 GMT

> OK, I know a lot of you don't like C++ (though I really think you don't know
> what you are missing). But, it'd be nice to be able to use C++ with Apache.
> I know that I've been asked about it several times.
>
> I'd be interested to know about these things:
>
> 1. Would anyone object if I C++-proofed Apache? This would probably not be
> much more than the odd extern "C" in the headers.

+1

> 2. Which OSes don't support C++?

BSD 4.4   (netbsd,freebsd,bsdi) does support it...

> 3. Which OSes don't support templates?

BSD 4.4   (netbsd,freebsd,bsdi) does support it...

> 4. Do any of you actually like C++?

I built a C++ class in 100% x86 assembly by reverse engineering the compiler
To speed up my video routines...

> 5. Would there be any interest in creating C++ wrapper classes?

go for it...  ;-)

> 6. Would there be any interest in creating a completely C++ Apache?

Yeah, but until I move I have almost no time...
Uhm... as a side note this might ease Multi Threading since C++ code tends to
be much more structured.

> Cheers,
>
> Ben.
>
> --
> Ben Laurie                  Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
> Freelance Consultant and    Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472
> Technical Director          Email: ben@algroup.co.uk
> A.L. Digital Ltd,           URL: http://www.algroup.co.uk
> London, England.            Apache Group member (http://www.apache.org)

-bill