httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: C++ components?
Date Tue, 23 Jul 1996 21:12:10 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> OK, I know a lot of you don't like C++ (though I really think you don't know
> what you are missing). But, it'd be nice to be able to use C++ with Apache.
> I know that I've been asked about it several times.
>
> I'd be interested to know about these things:
>
> 1. Would anyone object if I C++-proofed Apache? This would probably not be
> much more than the odd extern "C" in the headers.

Nah...

> 4. Do any of you actually like C++?

Well... not really. I guess because it so much like and yet unlike
C is what bothers me about it. OOP is great,I just wish C++ wasn't
so C-like. It's hard to switch gears.

> 5. Would there be any interest in creating C++ wrapper classes?
>
> 6. Would there be any interest in creating a completely C++ Apache?

Not here... My main thrust, lately it seems, has been resisting any
development issues which may reduce our available platform base.
This isn't to be a pain, but simply a way to ensure that Apache
can maintain it's high level of use and popularty. Although I'm
sure that if we focused on one specific, extremely mature OS, we could
produce a kick-butt server (not that Apacheisn't one already, but
you get the point) but them we would loose a LOT of currently-running-
Apache-sites, which would be a shame.

Even requiring ANSI-C would be considered, by some, a limiting
move :)

o+o