httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Lucid <lu...@the.secret.org>
Subject Re: RegExp stuff to be included in 1.2?
Date Tue, 23 Jul 1996 19:19:58 GMT

> Alexei> I guess I could be convinced to use rx. Except that it uses
> Alexei> autoconf, and since we don't (yet), that could be a problem.
>
> Actually, I'd recommend avoiding rx in the short term.  It might be a
> good package, but it has had maintenance problems, and even many of
> the hard-core GNU people are reluctant to use it.
>
> In terms of the GPL: my understanding is that the Apache SSL stuff
> needs some proprietary library to work.  I think there are probably
> bad legalistic interactions here.  My advice is to avoid the GPL in a
> situation like this.
>
> Tom
> --
> tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom

Apache SSL needs SSLeay ,to do SSL, which is Berkely style license but....
RSA owns the rights to the crypto algorythm in the US.

I think RSA is finally licensing the encryption stuff, and
more info can be found through www.consensus.com. I belive
they are the exclusive sublicenor for deals below $500,000
(rsa didn't want to be bothered :-) but then the problem
becomes export issues... Wooo Hooo.. maybe Pro-Code will pass...

I strongly dislike the GPL...

-bill