httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@en.muc.de>
Subject Re: ANNOUNCE: mod_rewrite v2.0
Date Tue, 23 Jul 1996 06:51:50 GMT
On 23 Jul 1996 03:15:50 +0200 in en.lists.apache-new-httpd you wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 1996, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> >                 Apache Server Module ``mod_rewrite''
> >            <URL:http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_rewrite/>

> >     This is an Apache Server module which uses a regular-expression
> >     parser to re-write requested URLs on the fly. It can use
> >     external databases (either plain text, or DBM) to provide a
> >     mapping-function or generate real URIs (including QUERY_INFO
> >     parts) for internal subprocessing or external request redirection.

> Hmm. I've been looking at this, and it looks pretty good. It seems to have
> a lot of functionality that could conceivably be very useful. Once we get
> the regex thing worked out, what are the group's thoughts on including
> this in Apache by default, maybe in 1.2?

Thanks, nice to hear this. I currently use the old regexp stuff from Henry
Spencer and wondering why there still isn't some regexp stuff included in the
current Apache 1.2-dev, I officially could use. What is the current state?
There was a long discussion two months ago about this regexp-topic, but
finally I think there was only the decision that we include regexp stuff, but
no decision about _WHICH_ regexp code. I posted a listing of available regexp
sources, two from Henry Spencer, two from GNU and another BSD-derived one.
But there were no comments in the past...

So, I will start the discussion again in another message by posting again the
RegExp list! We really need to decide now which regexp code to include in the
core, because mod_rewrite is not the only module which needs it. For example,
there are others like the mod_xinclude.c (XSSI), etc.

> We would need to really test mod_rewrite_compat.c to make sure it's
> defenitely (bugward) compatible with the current directives, but assuming
> it is, I think this looks like something we might like to include.

Hmmm.... I would say it is bugward comapible with mod_alias and mod_userdir
except for the per-dir Redirect of mod_alias. This one have to be added, i.e.
the mod_rewrite_compat.c have to be expanded to also handle per-dir Redirect
commands. All other things of this compatibility module should be ok, because
I wrote it with the sourcecode of mod_alias.c and mod_userdir.c open in the
other windows of my editor... ;-)

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@engelschall.com