httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@creche.cygnus.com>
Subject Re: Broken clients
Date Tue, 23 Jul 1996 02:57:29 GMT
Aram> Amm... I'v kept quiet about this, but this is getting a little
Aram> ugly...  to me at least.

Aram> Linux is one of the most stable UNIX platforms I've seen
Aram> around. [ etc ]

I didn't mean to slam Linux... that was just the example at hand.  I
use Linux every day (it is standard issue for all Cygnus remoties),
and I love it.

What I tried (and failed) to say is that you can never tell what new
bugs an OS release will bring.  Of course, you have to balance this
problem against the problems associated with including the whole C
library with every package.  People have traditionally decided to
include their own regexp routines because the OS routines are missing
or buggy; regexps seem to be something that many OSs get wrong.

Also, back to the real topic: it might be possible to modify Spencer's
regexp routines to use the pool allocator.  I don't know what this
will buy (I don't anything about the allocator), but if it is a win
then this is another reason to include a regexp package in Apache.

Tom
--
tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom