httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: Broken clients
Date Tue, 23 Jul 1996 00:35:05 GMT
Howard Fear liltingly intones:

> Umm.... I understand Solaris 2.4 also has problems, functional instead
> of memory.  No, the reason to carry our own is to make maintenance
> easier to do.  I spent a couple of hours tracking down the memory
> leak on linux before getting it down to the system regex.  I'd hate
> to start getting bur reports of: Apache 1.2.x on Unix_flavor_of_the_week
> is leaking memory.  Tracking down whether its actually a problem with
> the server or the OS wouldn't be fun.  Fortunately, all the pool stuff
> does make it easier to find.  Unfortunately regex packages won't use
> it.
>
> It really wouldn't make much of a difference except that OS regex
> packages have historically tended towards unreliable.

Hmmm, maybe we carry a regex package in case HAS_FUBAR_REGEX or something
is defined, so those OS who do work don't have to use it. Sound OK?
Would work w/autoconfig, etc.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Boston, n.:
	Ludwig van Beethoven being jeered by 50,000 sports fans for
finishing second in the Irish jig competition.