httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@creche.cygnus.com>
Subject Re: Broken clients
Date Mon, 22 Jul 1996 19:43:43 GMT
Chuck> I don't think Howard's observation is quite good enough to
Chuck> reject system-provided regex outright. We have to balance the
Chuck> hassle of maintaining and updating another chunk of code
Chuck> that'll be statically linked into every instance of Apache with
Chuck> working around bad OS versions of the package.  Apache doesn't
Chuck> have to carry around OS regex as extra baggage. Someday Linux
Chuck> will get it right.

While I agree in principle, in practice things break from release to
release.  (Eg SunOS 4.1.4 has a bug in strtod that didn't exist in
4.1.3).  So saying that "someday Linux will get it right" is pretty
optimistic :-)

Most (every one?) of the packages I've seen that use regexps come with
their own implementation (usually derived from Spencer's).  Some
examples: Tcl, GNU tar, Emacs, Perl.  My guess is that this is because
testing for specific regex bugs is too much of a pain to deal with,
and it is easier to just include known working code.

That said, it doesn't really matter to me, as long as Apache uses the
POSIX interface.  That way I can just put Spencer's regex.c into our
local tree and not worry about it.

Tom
--
tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom