httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: 1.2 log rotation II
Date Sat, 20 Jul 1996 16:25:20 GMT
Ben Laurie liltingly intones:

> OK, I know why SIGHUP shuts it down, and I'll fix it if anyone cares. On the
> other hand, why does SIGINT? What error do you get with a SIGINT. Are you
> using Listen (I didn't test the Listen patches, probably a mistake since they
> are more than a little complex but, then, I only have so many hours in my
> weekends).

SIGHUP should probably work as gentle restart, ultimately, but that's just
my belated HO. No error messages with SIGINT, just one of two results, as
further playing has shown:

1) silent server shutdown
2) server restart, with two additional children spawned each time.

I'm not using Listen on the servers I'm testing on.

This isn't urgent (like right now), Ben. I'm running the no keepalive for
Mozilla/2 version of 1.2-dev on one of the two machines I tested on, but
not the other. I've cobbled rotatelogs to accept a 0 arg for rotate
interval which means rotate once, right now. This also uses 0 as
the file extension so my rotate script can then compress and rotate all
the log files on the server, and the other automatic tools we use
still see the same filenames as before. We can still date the rotated log
files by the mtime.

I've got two boys to go amuse now, so I'll probably not be around 'till
later, myself.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Twenty Percent of Zero is Better than Nothing.
		-- Walt Kelly