httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: 1.2 log rotation II
Date Sat, 20 Jul 1996 14:11:01 GMT
Robert S. Thau liltingly intones:

> I'll say it again until someone seems to hear it --- this SIGINT
> business is a *mistake*.  The old, "ungraceful" restart behavior is
> a bug, outright, and we ought to fix it, not go out of our way to
> be back-compatible with it.  That said, if graceful restart is also
> broken, that ought to be fixed.

I'll second that. Sending SIGHUP or SIGINT to the server shuts it down
at this point. Restart signal should be HUP, not INT, IMHO. Graceful
restart should go on a SIGHUP.

That said, graceful restart still needs some work on BSD at least.

Rotatelogs is the right way to do log rotation, and really isn't germane
to the signal discussion. I'm changing it slightly now to fit into our
automatic rotate/fetch/analyze scheme here.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Baker's First Law of Federal Geometry:
	A block grant is a solid mass of money surrounded on all sides
by governors.