httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: Puzzled regarding stay alive
Date Fri, 19 Jul 1996 02:06:46 GMT
Implementations of client-side keepalive are broken in Netscape Navigator
versions 2.0-3.0b4 under both Windows and Windows 95. We are discussing and
testing a method of disabling server keepalive processing only for these
clients (actually all Netscape 2.x, since 3.0b5 fixed the problem) so
that we as people who run websites are not under pressure to disable
keepalive for all clients.

Broken Netscape browsers appear to hang on a connection when processing
keepalive. One of the group (Alexei) has verified that this is a browser
problem. Apache, NCSA, Spyglass, and Netscape servers were tested.
Netscape Navigator exhibited the problem with all the servers.

Christian Gross liltingly intones:

> I have been reading the mailing list for a couple of days and seem to have
> understood that there is a problem with stay alive sockets.
>
> Could someone fill me in what the problem is?  The reason I am asking is
> that for my client (25,000 stations) intranet we would like to implement a
> stay-alive solution by October.
>
> Are there any tricks I have to look for?
>
> They are running Netscape 1.1->3.0 browsers versions on all platforms.
>
> --
> Christian Gross
> euSOFT
> Phone 41.1.492.7827
> Fax 41.1.492.7757

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
This is an unauthorized cybernetic announcement.