httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <>
Subject Re: Let's get rid of .htaccess files :-)
Date Thu, 18 Jul 1996 23:10:43 GMT
>    > For large systems either .htaccess or a similar technique is the best
>    > thing to do since it allows the individual to modify his/her access
>    > perms with ease.
>    So would this. I'm not suggesting that we remove that functionality.
>    There is no need to search for them on every URL request IF we
>    read them in and store that information at startup.
> Randy, .htaccess file functionality *is* searching for the files on
> every request.  I'm as confused as Mike --- I can't tell whether you're
> proposing to get rid of it or not.

Why can't we search for them once at startup and reread them when

> If so, BTW, I'm opposed --- I can understanding wanting to support
> a more centralized config registry, and I can understand wanting to
> turn off .htaccess files if you're using it --- a capability you
> already have, BTW, via "AllowOverride None".  However, removing the
> file-search *capability* outright would pose a massive compatibility
> headache at my site and many others.
> rst

* What I am suggesting would take advantage of the existing .htaccess
  system as I see it.

* I think that a configuration tool can be created that would allow us
  to move the .htaccess files out of the webspace.

* I think that in doing so, we would then stop needing to hunt for
  the files for each request.

View raw message