httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Let's get rid of .htaccess files :-)
Date Thu, 18 Jul 1996 22:48:07 GMT
   > For large systems either .htaccess or a similar technique is the best
   > thing to do since it allows the individual to modify his/her access
   > perms with ease.

   So would this. I'm not suggesting that we remove that functionality.
   There is no need to search for them on every URL request IF we
   read them in and store that information at startup.

Randy, .htaccess file functionality *is* searching for the files on
every request.  I'm as confused as Mike --- I can't tell whether you're
proposing to get rid of it or not.

If so, BTW, I'm opposed --- I can understanding wanting to support
a more centralized config registry, and I can understand wanting to
turn off .htaccess files if you're using it --- a capability you
already have, BTW, via "AllowOverride None".  However, removing the
file-search *capability* outright would pose a massive compatibility
headache at my site and many others.

rst