httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Let's get rid of .htaccess files :-)
Date Thu, 18 Jul 1996 17:00:46 GMT
  On large systems, I am not sure it is a good idea to go hog-wild like that
  and search the entire disk for these things.

I tend to agree... I'd favor running the thing as a cache (meaning parse
as encountered, and also perhaps toss them on an LRU basis of the total
amount of cached stuff exceeds a threshold).

As I mentioned in my last note regarding the topic, memory consumption
of the cache is an issue --- less so in a threaded server, which would
have to keep dramatically fewer copies of the cache, but potentially
serious at those currently busy sites which have more than a hundred
server processes running with the current pooled model.

rst