httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Let's get rid of .htaccess files :-)
Date Thu, 18 Jul 1996 13:53:11 GMT
Randy Terbush writes:

 > You would only need to parse the tree at startup and SIGHUP.
 > It would be very easy to have a separate daemon watching the
 > conf/ for changes and sending a SIGHUP when needed. The conf/
 > could even be a DBM format file, however I prefer the idea
 > of leaving it accessible by basic system tools like 'vi'.
 > Hell, I could even imagine an Emacs mode for configuring the
 > server! :-)

Hmm, I like this idea, only why bother with lots of files. Why not just
have on access.conf file that has auth information for a URL (with regex
matching). This would be parsed once at startup so it's complexity is
less of an issue and if you make a change you have to re-hup. You could
also provide an online tool to edit the internal access table directly
for immediate changes and have the server write out a new access file
if you wished (or periodically perhaps, make it all configurable).

This would be a really nice feature, if it's suitably abstracted the
access file can be replaced by anything we want, like an Oracle database
which is what I'm doing a lot of work with at the moment.

In fact, authentication is top of my agenda at the moment, I need to do
far more complex things than just access authentication, such as credit
accounting and so forth, different access to different bits of
information that are all served up in a single dynamically generated
page using cgi etc.

The "standard" access methods are woefully inedaquate.