httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Let's get rid of .htaccess files :-)
Date Thu, 18 Jul 1996 13:36:58 GMT
> The problem with .htaccess files, as I understand them, is that they need
> to be searched for and parsed for each and every request. This is
> neccessarily not a great things for heavily loaded servers.
>
> On the other hand, they make it a lot easier to reconfigure the server,
> directory by directory, and if someone doesn't have access to the server
> config, they can still make an .htaccess file, and do whatever they want
> in it.

As you may have figured out from my follow-up, I'm not suggesting that
we ditch the ability to do per-dir configs, just stop doing it for every
request while at the same time, create a simple interface for config
tools.

> How about an option that would let you find and read in all the
> .htaccess files at startup, pretending they were <Directory> sections.
> That way, they'd all be there, ready to go. It would never have to check
> for them again. If they got changed, you'd have to provide some way to
> restart the server, but combined with Ben's graceful restart patches, this
> might not be a bad thing. At least as an option.
>
> I guess the question would then be as to how you identify .htaccess files.
> Do you look for them at startup? If you have a lot of directories, that
> could take a while. I suppose it could read each in once, the first time.
> (it'd have to also store then which directories *didn't* have .htaccess
> files, to avoid the extra stat for each request).
>
> Hmm.

See my other comments. I suggest creating a separate config tree/database
that only contains directories where .htaccess exist in the webspace.